Every year approximately 500 earthquakes occur in the state of California that are large enough to be felt. Earthquakes are unpredictable natural disasters with just as terrible after effects. Take the necessary steps today to get your property and family ready for the next emergency. We cannot predict when the next natural disaster will hit, but together we can take the next steps in being prepared.
- Secure items, such as televisions, and objects that hang on walls
- Store heavy and breakable objects on low shelves
- Create an emergency communications plan
- Create a family plan
- Make a disaster kit
- Learn about PG&E's safety action center
- Consider earthquake insurance as standard homeowner’s insurance does not cover earthquake damage.
- Consider a retrofit of your building to correct structural issues that make it vulnerable during an earthquake.
- Practice Drop, Cover, then Hold On with family and coworkers
If an Earthquake Occurs
- If in a vehicle, pull over and stop
- If in bed, stay there
- If outdoors, stay outdoors
- Do not get in a doorway
- Do not run outside
- Drop, Cover, then Hold On
Drop to your hands and knees. Cover your head and neck with your arms. Crawl only as far as needed to reach cover from falling materials. Hold on to any sturdy furniture until the shaking stops.